Dental implants are a great alternative to living with missing teeth. Thanks to all the advancements in this type of dental restoration, now getting dental implants are more beneficial than ever.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implant surgery replaces tooth roots with screw-like posts made of metal and artificial teeth made of porcelain, metal, or a combination of the two materials, that look and function the same as natural teeth. During the surgery, the damaged tooth is removed, and the jawbone is prepared for surgery. After the jaw heals, an oral surgeon places the implant post into the jawbone. The overall healing period can take several months. Once healed, patients return to the oral surgeon so that they can place the abutment — or extension of the post. Once the jaw and the soft tissue in and surrounding the area heals, the patient will then see their dentist so that the dentist can take a mold of the teeth in order to place the final crown on top of the abutment.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many benefits to receiving dental implants. These include:
- Dental implants last for life.
- Each implant sets independently inside the jaw allowing it to work without depending on the teeth surrounding it.
- Speaking and eating is easier due to the lack of bulky dentures or partials.
- Your other teeth will be preserved.
- Your face will maintain its appearance without the shrinkage caused from having an entire mouth of teeth pulled.
Why Get an Implant?
- You have healthy oral tissue.
- Have one or more missing teeth
- Have a healthy, fully-grown jawbone
- Are unable or do not want to wear dentures
- Do not have any conditions that will impede or prevent healing of the jaw and bone.
Take our online implant suitability quiz
Find out if you are suitable for Dental Implants. Take our free, quick and easy online quiz to find out if dental implants are right for you. We also have some great patient information resources and implant FAQ’s here.